Welcome to the
Year 6 Curriculum
Learning Grid Summer 2021
Timetable Summer 2021
Fabulous examples of written work produced by the fabulous LYFORDERS
This term we are continuing our place value work through using written methods for all four operations.
The objectives we will be covering are:
- recognise the value of numbers up to a million
- use negative numbers in different contexts
- multiply multi-digit numbers up to 4 digits by a two-digit whole number using the formal written method of long multiplication
- divide numbers up to 4 digits by a two-digit whole number using the formal written method of long division, and interpret remainders as whole number remainders, fractions, or by rounding, as appropriate for the context
- divide numbers up to 4 digits by a two-digit number using the formal written method of short division where appropriate, interpreting remainders according to the context
- perform mental calculations, including with mixed operations and large numbers
- identify common factors, common multiples and prime numbers
- use their knowledge of the order of operations to carry out calculations involving the 4 operations
- solve addition and subtraction multi-step problems in contexts, deciding which operations and methods to use and why
- solve problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- use estimation to check answers to calculations and determine, in the context of a problem, an appropriate degree of accuracy
Deepening our Reading skills.....
This Autumn term, we are focusing on our inference, deduction and prediction skills; we will be looking specifically at answering longer comprehension questions and understanding that we have to select evidence from the text, use and find a quote and explain how this supports our viewpoints. Each week, Lydford Class have reading comprehension homework to complete and return by Friday; we discuss this work on a Monday.
Our AMAZING story this term is......
Guided Reading - we are training to be Reading Gladiators in Lydford.
This is a fabulous time in class to really dive into a book, discussing the context, themes, the children's own experiences that relate to the text. We discuss and share as a group then continue reading chapters independently before returning for further discussion.
Examples of the books covered are below: